The mission of the University of Minnesota International Medical Education and Research Program is to promote an exchange of international educational, research and other scholarly opportunities for medical and graduate students and faculty.
The primary focus of the Program is on education of medical and graduate students. In addition to promoting bi-directional exchange of students between the University of Minnesota and appropriate organizations within developing and developed countries, the Program supports faculty members engaged in medical education and research abroad.
The Office serves as a coordinating center for the purposes of:
- assembling and disseminating information to students and faculty about international health programs
- updating and having readily available for University of Minnesota students and faculty information about third and fourth year elective experiences in international medicine (including identifying faculty advisors for specific programs, foreign and local, and a general description of these programs)
- collaborating with the Dean's Office and faculty to assess and evaluate the quality of sites and the educational value of student experiences at those sites
- assisting in development of an international medicine curriculum within the Medical School
- coordinating information about cross-cultural experiences, assistance with language skills and housing facilities at foreign sites and in Minnesota
- organizing committee meetings, lectureships, and other activities related to international health
- collaborating with foundations and other organizations involved in fundraising for the purposes of the International Medical Education and Research Program
|Director||Phillip Peterson, M.D.
Professor of Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases and International Medicine
|Co-Director||Paul Quie, M.D.
Regents Professor Emeritus of Pediatrics
and Associate to the Dean
|Kumar Belani, M.D.||Professor, Department of Anesthesiology and Medicine; Director, Programs in India|
|James Gaviser, M.D.||Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery (Poriya Hospital, Israel Exchange Program)|
|Marshall Hertz, M.D.||IMER Education Liaison|
|Cynthia Howard, M.D.||Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Global Pediatrics Program|
|Maynard Jacobson, M.D.||Professor Emeritis, Department of Medicine (Scandanavia and Bangladesh Programs)|
|Chandy John, M.D.||Associate Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Global Pediatrics Program|
|Steven Juhn, M.D.||Professor, Department of Otolaryngology|
|John Kersey, M.D.||Professor, Department of Pediatrics|
|Glenn Nordehn, M.D.||Assistant Professor, Family Medicine (Duluth Campus)|
|Frank Rhame, M.D.||Professor, Department of Medicine, Abbott Northwestern Hospital|
|William Stauffer, M.D., MPH||Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases and International Medicine, Global Health Pathway|
|Clifford Steer, M.D.||Professor of Medicine. IMER Director, International Biomedical Research Program|
|Patricia Walker, M.D., D.T.M.&H.||Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases and International Medicine; Senior Associate Global Health Pathway, Medical Director, Center for International Health, Regions Hospital|
|Kathleen Watson, M.D.||Senior Associate Dean for Undergraduate Medical Education|
|David Williams, M.D.||Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Hennepin County Medical Center|