Non-Medical School Course Registration

Effective Fall, 2005 the medical school, in cooperation with the Office of Enrollment Services, has instituted a new procedure for students who wish to take additional courses outside of the medical school curriculum.

The deadline to enroll for non-medical school courses without incurring a late registration fee is the end of the first week of the term.

You may not register for non-medical school courses that have overlapping times with medical school courses.


The cost of these non-medical school courses will not be covered by financial aid and you are required to pay for them unless you qualify for a medical school tuition reimbursement award.

Tuition Reimbursement Eligibility

Reimbursement for non-medical school course work is subject to availability of funds. For more information, contact Kristin Basballe (, 612-624-7675) in the Office of Financial Aid.

In order to be eligible for a medical school tuition reimbursement award, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Be in good academic standing
  • Apply for only one course per semester
  • Take a course that relates to their medical education (e.g. courses in public health, spirituality and healing, or Medical Spanish)
  • Take the course for credit (not audit)
  • Have not previously dropped or withdrawn from a non-medical school course

When your registration is complete, submit a copy of your enrollment/fee statement and completed Medical School Tuition Reimbursement Request Form (pdf) to:

Scott Davenport
Office of Student Affairs
University of Minnesota Medical School
B614 Mayo Building
420 Delaware St. SE, MMC 293
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Fax: 612-626-4200

How to register for a non-medical school course

You must self-register through the College of Continuing Education (CCE). 

View class schedule information online at the OneStop Class Schedule and select the course for which you would like to register.

Decide on the career under which you want to register for the course (UGRD or GRAD).  Be sure you correctly select the career you want; you cannot go back later and change it after you register. Ask yourself if you want this course to count in the future as GRAD credit.

  • If YES, register as GRAD
  • If NO, register as UGRD

Note the tuition difference between GRAD and UGRD; Courses in UGRD career cost less than those in GRAD career. Register by email, mail, fax, or in-person for non-degree courses.

For Undergraduate credit:

Students must register as a non-degree student in the College of Continuing Education (CCE). You can do it one of two ways:

On-line option:

Visit the University's Registration site and complete the On-line Registration and Cancel/Add Form.

Paper option:

1) Fill out the University's Registration and Cancel/Add Form (pdf)

2) Return form:

Mail:  University of Minnesota
         130 Coffey Hall
         1420 Eckles Avenue
         St. Paul, MN 55108-6054

Fax:  (612) 626-0008

Drop off in-person to one of these locations:
         East Bank – 333 Bruininks Hall
         West Bank – 130 West Bank Skyway
         St. Paul – 130 Coffey Hall

For Graduate credit:

Complete the Universities Registration Request for Graduate Credit for Non-Degree Students Form (pdf) and send form to the department offering the courses for approval. Once you have approval, follow the steps above if you wish to receive tuition reimbursement from the Medical School.

Time Conflicts

You may not register for non-medical school courses that have overlapping times with medical school courses.

Return to:  Medical Education : Medical School : AHC : U of M

© 2016 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.